Rostock Build Part: 2 - Framing

Well I have designed my frame. And here she is after I put her together.

The usual linear bearings on 8mm rod. I have the nylon bearings however I find these more precise as well as adding some motor oil for lubrication.

The top bearings I have not yet decided what I am going to do, I know the belt is supposed to be 6mm wide and the bearing and washers do support this, however for the moment I am going to mount double bearings.

Here they are mounted. All Home Depot hardware here.

Here are the parts.

The beginnings of the spider. Being that this design uses m2 nuts and bolts which are not easily available locally I had to get creative. I used 6/32 standard bolts, I also tapped the plastic for the bolts to go completely through. For bearing surface I used spring washers. I filed the knuckles flat as when they were 3d printed they were not of the highest quality. For the sides I used m2 disk drive bolts that thread directly into the plastic, again I tapped the holes. The rod eyes were drilled so it gives the unit some free movement.

These are the type of spring washers which I straightened and pressed into the indents originally meant for nuts. This gives me zero lash.

As some may have noticed by now I have tapped the tops of the rods and added nuts and washers. Although the rod is 8mm it taps just fine to 3/8th nuts. These will be used to tension the rods. The design of this machine will put the rods under a few pounds of tension increasing the stability of the machine as well as increasing the life of the bearings. It will be lubricated with some engine oil I have left over from my oil change.

Here is the bottom shot.

And another.

I put together the extruder with the required bolts which were not easy to scrounge, they come from old computer projects as well as an old hdd that I disassembled. The hdd also donated the shaft bearing to this project. The top spring is a hose as I saw the pen springs as being too cumbersome to use.

These round planks of wood is what I am using for a base as well as the top of the printer. They were less than 5 bucks a piece from Home Depot. They are of decent quality and will eventually be covered in some form of metal. I originally intended on using 1/2 steel for this however the price was prohibitive.

This is the heated bed. I made the mistake of buying one that was pre soldered. This is the soldering, it makes it impossible to mount a flat glass plate on either side of it, it will have to be de-soldered and re-soldered to meet my requirements.

This is the ramps 1.4 andf arduino mega 2560 R3 in testing.

Powering it is a psu capable of putting out 22amps, however for the psu to run properly I had to add two resistors on the 5v & 3.3v rail. They are rated at 25w however they do get quite hot when in continuous use. I will have to actively cool them.

For connectors for the motors I have scrounged 4x floppy drive connectors.

This is it for now. Apologies for the picture quality, however the lighting in my office was very poor for this. In the interest of now waking up the rest of my household, I did not search for the other camera that is better at taking night shots.

Bruno M.

Engineer, Tinkerer, Technologist, Maker.

New York

Subscribe to engineerd3d

Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox.

or subscribe via RSS with Feedly!